MAIN SECTIONS >  Home  Gloucester Docks  Sharpness Docks  G&S Canal  Vessels  People  Studies
GLOUCESTER PAGES >  Gloucester Docks  Warehouses  Other Buildings  Filming  For Visitors  Regeneration

Gloucester Docks &
the Sharpness Canal


Gloucester Docks - South

As the land around the original basin at Gloucester became occupied by tenants, so developments began to spread to the south of Llanthony Bridge, and this page shows how two of these areas have changed in the last hundred years. For other parts of the docks, see:

Gloucester Docks  Barge Arm  Former Dock Railways  Docks Details

Bakers Quay

Looking north along Bakers Quay, Gloucester Docks, c1895


Looking north along Bakers Quay in 2003

Looking north along Baker's Quay towards the Pillar Warehouse on the right with the Great Western and Alexandra Warehouses on the other side of Llanthony Bridge. (Photo: M.Boakes)

The Pillar Warehouse was converted to offices in 1984, but the Great Western Warehouse was destroyed by fire in 1945 and never rebuilt. For the land to the east, see High Orchard.

Return to Map

Monk Meadow Dock


From the 1930s to the 1960s, Monk Meadow Dock was much used by tanker barges supplying half-a-dozen petroleum depots. The building on the right was a store for vegetable oils produced by Foster Bros. (Walwins)

During the 1970s and 80s, some petroleum products were delivered by coastal tanker, but then the dock went out of use. The surrounding land is due to be redeveloped as part of the Gloucester Quays scheme.

Return to Map

Timber Yards

Looking north from Monk Meadow 1892 


Looking north from Monk Meadow 2003 

Some of the huge stacks of timber that occupied the east bank of the canal approaching Gloucester in 1892, with the barque Mathias of Abo in the distance. (Photo: J Nurse)

In recent years, most of the timber yards have been turned over to other uses that make no use of the canal.

Return to Map

Return to Top Menu   Copyright Hugh Conway-Jones 2003-07   Contact